12 March 2010

JINGZHE: The Awakening of the Insects




Until near the end of March, the period in the Solar Calendar throughout much of Asia is called “The Awakening of the Insects”. Late winter is yielding to early spring, and it is a time of thunder and rain. Insects now awaken from winter, and go about their work, which in turn awakens the plants and flowers.




This picture is from a favorite website of mine, NaturalJapan.net “Nature in Japan”. This amazing insect is Pamendanga matsumurae, and resembles nothing more than an intricate Edwardian enamel and jewel brooch, perhaps by Lalique.



To celebrate The Awakening of the Insects:


Winter garden,
The moon thinned to a thread,
Insects singing.
(Basho)








All this is by way of celebrating my new venture: visione. I hope you like some of the things I will post in the days and weeks – and who knows, maybe years – ahead. I will see where my curiosity takes me, and I will share what I find. Perhaps I will find YOU in my travels!

Here are some things I will be writing about, things that inspire me, things I like to think about:

Books and reading; reading and books!

Writing

Fashion and style - beauty and art

Film and film history

Interiors

Exteriors

and . . . . . Little Rain, my familiar and companion on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment